FBI Director Debunks Crucial Lie of White House Abuse Scandal - ProgressTribune.com
News Commentary

FBI Director Debunks Crucial Lie of White House Abuse Scandal

The cover-up keeps getting worse and worse.

Trump’s woman-hating response to the Rob Porter domestic abuse scandal is a rolling disaster, and it got a lot worse when the FBI Director Christopher Wray debunked a crucial lie that the administration has been saying.

On Tuesday morning, the White House was still saying that Porter’s “background check investigation had not been completed yet” when he quit because people found out he had abused two ex-wives, and used that lie as an excuse for their failure to fire Porter or to make a single change going forward.

But Wray contradicted that talking point in his testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, claiming his agency completed Porter’s investigation two times.

Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) asked Wray about when the FBI’s revelations were revealed to the White House about the domestic abuse. While Wray said that he was unable to talk about the content of those probes, he confirmed that the FBI gave a partial report to the White House in March and then gave them a completed report in July.

“Soon thereafter, we received requests for followup inquiry, and we did the followup, and provided that information in November,” Wray stated. “And then we administratively closed the file in January, and then earlier this month, we received some additional information, and we passed that on, as well.”

Wray’s testimony proves that the White House is lying when it claims Porter’s background check had not been finished, or was ongoing. Wray’s timeline also corroborates other reporting that indicates the White House was covering up for Porter the whole time.

White House counsel Don McGahn has known of the allegations for more than a year, and chief of staff John Kelly was told about them in November, which is when Wray reports that the FBI completed the requested “followup.”

Wray’s testimony also proved that the FBI had “completed” Porter’s background investigation way back in July, which did not result in Porter getting a permanent security clearance. The White House kept Porter working there, despite his inability to get permanent security clearance.

This scandal has deeper implications than just the political damage it is doing to the terrible Trump administration for protecting a wife-beater. The White House still employs dozens of staffers who also have failed to get permanent security clearance, such as Trump’s awful son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Wray’s revelation should force the Republicans to join Democrats in holding Donald Trump accountable for risking national security by keeping all these reckless clearances.

Most Popular

To Top

Send this to friend