The evidence is piling high–Donald Trump may not actually be a smart person. In fact, he may not be smart enough to fulfill his duties as President of the United States.
But Trump thinks he is smart. Well, because he said, “You know, I’m like a smart person.”
So, lets arrange a list of all the ways Trump is proving his smartishness….or not.
- Trump met with pastors of two leading Presbyterian churches in New York and bragged about how “I did very, very well with evangelicals in the polls.” They had to inform him that they weren’t evangelical. He then asked them, “What are you then?” When they explained that they were mainline Presbyterians, he asked, “But you’re all Christians?” They explained to him that Presbyterians are in fact Christians. Trump is a Presbyterian…
- Trump asked the editors of the Economist whether they had ever heard of the phrase “priming the pump.” Really. Then he explained how he came up with the phrase in his own mind. “I haven’t heard it,” Trump said. “I mean, I just … I came up with it a couple of days ago, and I thought it was good.”
- After his arrival from Saudi Arabia, Trump told Israelis, “We just got back from the Middle East.”
- Trump said that Frederick Douglass, who died in 1895, was “an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more.”
- He claimed that Andrew Jackson, who died 16 years before the Civil War, “was really angry that he saw what was happening in regard to the Civil War.”
- Why is Trump so ignorant? Because he doesn’t read books or even long articles. “I never have,” he proudly told a reporter last year. “I’m always busy doing a lot.”
- Trump said last year that he reaches conclusions and makes decisions “with very little knowledge other than the knowledge I [already] had, plus the words ‘common sense,’ because I have a lot of common sense and I have a lot of business ability.”
- Trump shared “code-word information” with Russia’s foreign minister. He apparently did not realize what he was doing. By doing so, he may have destroyed America’s best source of intelligence on Islamic State plots — a top-secret Israeli penetration of the militant group’s computers.
Trump refuses to be handled or steered. That is plain to see every time he puts his little thumbs to work typing out his tweets. His erratic mind and behavior will not be curbed, much to the chagrin of those around him. As Maggie Haberman of the New York Times noted: “Trump doesn’t want to be controlled. In [the] campaign, [he] would often do [the] opposite of what he was advised to do, simply because it was opposite.”
So how’s that working for you, Donny? Your approval ratings are plummeting. America has become the laughing stock of the world.